Tuesday 3 August 2010

*8 bit Magic

OH MY NOSTALGIA!! 8 BIT MUSIC ROCKS!! MY GAMING EARS!! RETRO MAGIC!!
So yes ... I'm a gamer.

I've been into Video games since my brother had a Sega Master system. Yes... many know me as a Nintendo Fanboy.. But my first system to wet my pre gaming appetite was on a Sega... Then came the Nintendo Entertainment System. That's when this shit just got real.

I was in Japan.. In a store called Village Vanguard! My absolute favourite store in Japan. It's a store that sales.. Books, Manga, Toys, Homeware, Fashion accessories... Oh basically everything geeky and cool!

I was doing the normal Friday browse... (Yes I was a regular Customer..) I heard the sounds of 8 bit magic surrounding the store... That's when I discovered YMCK!!




Swing jazz elements plus techno pop sound, NES game music plays like a vocal style characterized by 8bit sweet sound. CD album cover is also like a NES game character jacket dot painting was used to create a 8 bit image of the band
That's when I jizzed in my Pants!!



Now I can't get enough of this 8 bit Music goddness...
I did some searching and found 8 bit Peoples..


The 8bitpeoples first came together in 1999 as a collective of artists sharing a common love for classic videogames and an approach to music which reflected this obsession. 
On their site are many 8 bit artists all sharing their music for free!!
Check it out!

One of my favorite artists to come from this site has to be Anamanaguchi!


Anamanaguchi is a chiptune punk band from New York City that "makes loud, fast music with a hacked NES from 1985."[1] The band has four members: lead songwriter Peter Berkman, bassist James DeVito, guitarist Ary Warnaar and drummer Luke Silas.[2] Akin to other chiptune artists, Anamanaguchi creates music using synthesizers, albeit unconventional ones: namely a hacked NES and Game Boy. However, unlike most chiptune bands, Anamanaguchi employs live electric guitar, bass and drums on top of said synthesized music to create a fusion of digital and traditional sounds. From a technical standpoint, their music resembles that of video games from the mid to late1980s; however, Berkman states that video games are not the band's only inspiration, as their songwriting is also driven by "[s]imple popstuff, like Weezer and the Beach Boys."


Stay tuned for more Chiptune, 8 bit music glory!


No comments:

Post a Comment